Friday, October 21, 2011

Spend or Save: Beauty Edition

So I started my Spend or Save series a few weeks ago, fully intending to wrap it up in a couple of days, but then.....well, I got distracted. I do that sometimes. But now, just in time for the weekend, I bring you the Spend or Save: Beauty Edition! Sorry fellas, maybe you'll enjoy the next post better.

SPEND
- Lipstick! Listen to me ladies, if you want a good, bold red lip, then you should ESPECIALLY spend. No color looks good when it bleeds, but if you are going to do red, you simply must do it right. Skip the drugstore on this one and head straight to Sephora and do not, I repeat DO NOT buy lipsticks from any brand that is even mildly associated with old ladies. I have done the research and suffered on your behalf.

My personal favorite is NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
Velvet Matte Lip Pencil

SAVE
-Lipgloss. Let's be honest, they're really all the same. Unless you are wanting a plumper [in which case I'd recommend Lip Venom], then stick with the cheap stuff. I personally recommend Avon. Their GlazeWear glosses come in a variety of colors, aren't sticky and are only $6!


SPEND
-Anti-Aging Creams. Ladies, do you want to be a leathery, wrinkly mess when you are older? NO? Then do not skimp on your anti-aging products. Moisture is necessary throughout the day, but tends to be most effective at night when it can work on your skin uninterrupted [that is, if you can remember to put it on. Don't look to this girl for tips on that!]. Lancome makes great anti-aging products and I highly recommend them. Genefique is my current favorite and when I run out of it I am going to try the new Visionnaire. Yes, the price tag is kind of steep, but once again, I have done the research for you and can tell you that, when used properly, a 1 oz bottle of Genefique will last you up to a year.

GÉNIFIQUE Youth Activating Concentrate

SAVE
- Eye Shadow. Why in the world would we ever spend more than $10 on an eyeshadow [and even that is steep to me!]. Unless you're looking for something with gold dust in it, pick these puppies up at Wal-Mart or Target. Eye shadow is one of the most fun places to experiment with your make up and the less you spend the more colors you can buy. Try E.L.F at Target- 32 colors for $5!
elf Eyeshadow Palette Vol. 2 -  32 piece

SPEND
-CONCEALER. Ladies, the only make up you really need on a daily basis is a good layer of moisture, a good concealer, and a coat of lip gloss [some add mascara to this list, but I prefer it for nights out]. Do not skimp here and do NOT wear the wrong color. Concealer is one item worth asking advice on. The ladies at Sephora have been very helpful to my dark circles. My favorites are both Benefit Products- Erase Paste and Boiing.
Erase Paste
Boi-ing


SPEND OR SAVE
- Eyeliner. I've had many inexpensive eyeliners that look really great [Avon wins again here] and some inexpensive ones that are the worst. What makes or breaks an eyeliner for me is whether or not it flakes. I already have some pretty serious dark circles and I do NOT need flakey eye make up turning that situation into a disaster. On the other hand, I dont feel the need to give up my first born child in order to line my eyes. My favorite affordable eyeliner is:

Avon's Glimmersticks Eyeliner


And if you can spend a little extra, I'd recommend Lancome's Le Crayon Kohl Waterproof.

SPEND OR SAVE
- Same concept as above. There seem to be millions of different kinds of mascara. As long as it lengthens my lashes and doesn't flake, then I could care less what the brand is. My favorite affordable option is L'Oreal's Double Extend
L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes

and my pricier fave is Buxom Lash Mascara

Buxom Lash Mascara


So there you have it! If you guys have any questions about any other products that I use, feel free to ask me! Provided I dont get "distracted" again, I hope to have the final in or fun little trilogy, Spend or Save: Fashion Edition, up sometime next week. That one will be fun for boys too!



No comments: