Monday, June 13, 2011

MUSIC MONDAY: Album Review

I don't think that I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that I am the BIGGEST Death Cab for Cutie fan, but I definitely enjoy them. In my personal opinion, the bands sound evolution has been stunted and their best records thus far are behind them [but who knows what the future holds]. I did enjoy their last album, 2008's Narrow Stairs, but it wasn't the kind of classic album with classic songs that you listen to for years and years. For me, it was more a phase, and when the phase was over the cd went back on the shelf.

I was curious to hear their new album, Codes and Keys, since it's been 3 years since Narrow Stairs came out, and Ben Gibbard has gotten married and sober since then. I am not one to condone unhealthy, erratic behavior induced by drugs and alcohol, but I have to say that soberness does not always benefit an artists creativity. I hate to say it, but that might be the case here with good ole Ben.

I do not dislike this album by any means. I think it definitely has its peaks, but with peaks come valleys. There just isn't a lot here that grabs me and makes me feel like I cannot stop listening. To give it a little credit, I did purchase it at the same time I purchased the newest My Morning Jacket album [I know, I know, I'm a little behind] which I absolutely CANNOT stop listening to, so that may be clouding my judgement here a bit.

Codes and Keys starts out strong with "Home Is A Fire", which is arguably one of the best tracks on the album. "Codes and Keys" is an ok song that I don't necessarily want to skip over, but I certainly don't feel the need to put it on repeat. "Some Boys" feels like a song that didn't quite make the cut for Narrow Stairs, so it got tacked onto C&K instead. They should've let that one alone because I pretty much hate it.

"Doors Unlocked and Open" is a breath of fresh air that is needed far too early in the album. This song sounds like an evolved version of classic Death Cab sound. The guitar riffs are interesting and the super obnoxious effect that is prevalent on this album is non-existant. Ahhhhh. The next track, "You Are A Tourist" happens to be the first single cut from this album. Expect to hear once again the guitar effect that I could do without and mundane lyrics that leave you emotionally feeling like the after taste of a communion cracker. Thus far, it is the one track that I have consistently skipped over.

"Unobstructed Views" comes along behind "You Are A Tourist" with a heavy piano sound and some interesting musical effects. It is the only song on the album that is predominantly instrumental, but it still happens to be one of my favorites. I don't have strong feelings either way about "Monday Morning" or "Portable Television", but "Underneath the Sycamore" is another peak on this album and happens to be one of my favorites. I think that it would have been a much better choice for the first single. "St. Peter's Cathedral" is not my favorite song on the album, but I think it is one of the more interesting compositions. There are layers to the production and the integrity of the song that is lacking on most of the album. "Stay Young, Go Dancing" is one of my favorite tracks on the album and is a great ending. It leaves you remembering a positive reaction of this album that otherwise may not have come through. This song is the reason that I still buy Death Cab albums.

Overall, I think the album is okay, but I think you might be better off to just buy the tracks that appeal to you. The rest is almost a waste. The entire album is below for your listening pleasure. Let me know YOUR opinion.






No comments: