Thursday, November 11, 2010

Let's Talk CMAs!

Country Music's biggest awards show happened last night here in Nashville, and if I do say so myself, it was a pretty good show. Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood hosted again and I think that the CMA's will be hard pressed to find a funnier, more likeable host than BP. Carrie Underwood they could probably do without [sorry Carrie, I love ya, but your comedy chops aren't that strong yet].

There were lots of odd performances [Carrie and Miranda Lambert both did the most obscure songs from their albums-my are my least favorite and are automatically skipped over], a lot of boring performances [way to kill the show George Straight], but a lot of talent showcased.

Miranda Lambert stole the night [as she should have] winning Female Vocalist of the Year, Album of the Year, Song of the Year and Video of the year. Get it, get it! If you don't have her most recent album, Revolution, I suggest getting it immediately. Heck, get all of her albums!

Male vocalist of the year went to Blake Shelton, which seemed to surprise a lot of folks [including me]. Not that he didn't deserve it, but I think that it was a bit of an upset. I had my fingers crossed for Dierks Bentley on that one [his bluegrass album, Up On The Ridge, is also worth a listen], but I suppose there's always next year.

The most hilarious moment of the show, in my humble opinion, was when they brought sweet Little Jimmy Dickens out, dressed for a flood. He is evidently the new warning system in case of emergencies. Brad says that when the water reaches LJD's neck he'll let out a screech at which point LJD whispers "Get out everybody!". I promise, it was hilarious.

The most interesting part of the night were the girls outfits. Who in the world was dressing these women?? More on that later.

And the most surprising part of the night was how well Gwyneth Paltrow did on her song. I've enjoyed her singing voice ever since the movie Duets came out, but I've always wondered if she could carry the weight live. Turns out she can. She seemed a bit nervous in the beginning, but never really stumbled and only seemed to get stronger. It's pretty sad when a random movie star can sing better than Country Music's biggest selling star. Check out her video below.





Did you watch the CMAs? What did you think?

No comments: