Friday, September 10, 2010

I Have Hope....Inside Is Not a Heart, but a Kaleidoscope!

As it turns out, I'm really terrible this whole blogging thing. I've had the new Sara Bareilles album Kaleidoscope Heart for a little over a week now and I've been DYING to share a few select tracks with you guys but the album wasn't anywhere on the web yet and, well, I'm not really that tech savvy. I'm also not very grammar savvy based on that ridiculous run on sentence.

Aaaaaanyway, I like to think that I have pretty versatile taste in music. I don't discriminate between genres or genders and will give pretty much anything a chance. But there is one thing that is undeniable; I LOVE a good break up album and that, ladies and gentlemen, is what we have here.

This album is completely based on breaking up [with a few record label angst songs thrown in for good measure], but it isn't at all depressing. Gonna Get Over You is the third track on the album, and possibly the most upbeat and fun. The chorus says "How am I gonna get over you? I'll be alright, just not tonight. But someday. Ooh, I wish you'd want me to stay." Out of the context of the song, those lyrics are pretty depressing, but toss in bright piano ditties and some old fashioned harmonies and you'll find yourself actually feeling pretty upbeat . We then go straight into a hard core breakupididn'tmeantoleaveyoubutdidn'tknowhowtostay type of song called "Hold My Heart" that is essentially an updated Celine Dion song from the mid- 90s [and when i say updated i mean that this song is AMAZING].

Break up albums can be tricky [especially as sophomore albums] because people almost always want to relate to them even when they actually can't. It can be hard listening to a break up album and really understanding it when you are in a happy relationship. But there is not a single song on this album that won't strike a chord with at least someone. There are many that resonate with me, and I've shared a few of my favorites with you below.

So buy the album, listen to it loud [like when you're alone], and tell me which song is your fave. I fully recommend giving "Basketcase" [Track 8] a listen before hitting the rest of the album. Enjoy!

1283458152_1cover.jpeg (500×454)









No comments: