Tuesday, August 14, 2012

More Signs of the Apocalypse

Last night, Taylor Swift did a live chat via YouTube with her fans and she previewed the first single from her new album, Red. As a self-proclaimed pop culture journalist [HA!] I felt as if it were my duty to report on this serious issue.

I'm going to give you the bad news first- the new single "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"


Ok, now do you want the even worse news?? I KIND OF LIKE IT! WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME???

Reasons why this song is likable:
#1- This is really and truly the MOST important reason- this song is likable because Taylor Swift has finally embraced her popness and isn't trying to make this a country song! I said a long time ago that I would like Swifty more if she would just admit she was trying to be Paramore and not Loretta Lynn. Who knows what the rest of the album is going to sound like, but this is SOLID pop music and I'm ok with that!
#2- The song is obviously catchy and has some fun elements to it [again, Pop elements, not pop disguised as country]. Clearly Taylor is never going to stop writing about her ex-boyfriends in a very unsubtle way [not that she should], but this one is definitely less melodramatic than say "Dear John" or any of her other break up songs. She turned sad into fun- good for you.
#3- Nowhere did I hear any mentions of castles, football games, princes, white horses or prom. Somebody's growing up!
#4- This song is clearly about Jake Gyllenhaal.

So be fully prepared to hear this song constantly on 107.5 The River and possibly never at all on WSIX- I think Swift is ok with that. What do you guys think of the song- am I officially losing it?

Also, I think that Kennedy kid should consider this song fair warning.

No comments: