Thursday, December 1, 2011

Time to Start Planning My Grammy Party...

The Grammy Nominations concert was last night and since I am a terrible Music Industry employee, I totally forgot to watch it. However, I've still got a list of the top nominations for you as well as my predictions!

RECORD OF THE YEAR
Adele- Rolling in the Deep
Bon Iver- Holocene
Bruno Mars- Grenade
Mumford & Sons- The Cave
Katy Perry- Firework
*Hard to give an opinion because almost all of these songs are winners in my book [however, I could do without "Firework"]. I'm going to put my prediction on Adele because the entire industry seems to be completely smitten with her. Something tells me that she may sweep every category she is nominated in.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Adele- 21
Foo Fighters- Wasting Light
Lady Gaga- Born This Way
Bruno Mars- Doo-Wops and Hooligans
Rihanna- Loud
* Not gonna lie, the Rihanna nomination here is kind of surprising, but I'm fine with it because I really think Adele will win this category as well. I do think there is a slight chance that the Foo Fighters could have an upset here because they are industry legends, but I wouldn't bet on it. I am starting to feel like everyone is OVER Lady Gaga, so I don't really think she stands a chance here.

SONG OF THE YEAR
"All of the Lights"-Kanye West
"The Cave"- Mumford and Sons
"Grenade"- Bruno Mars
"Holocene"- Bon Iver
"Rolling in the Deep"- Adele
*Again, I'm going to have to say that Adele will probably win this category, but I do think she has some competition from Kanye here. Nothing would make me happier than if Mumford or Bon Iver won, but I just don't see it happening.

BEST NEW ARTIST
Nicki Minaj
Bon Iver
J.Cole
Skrillex
The Band Perry
* Pretty sure that Nicki Minaj has got this one in the bag although, again, I would pee my pants over a Bon Iver win. Also, dear Grammys, just because you JUST NOW started paying attention to him doesn't mean that Bon Iver is "new".

BEST POP DUO/ GROUP PERFORMANCE
Tony Bennett & Amy Winehouse- "Body and Soul"
The Black Keys- "Dearest"
Coldplay- "Paradise"
Foster the People- "Pumped Up Kicks"
Maroon 5- "Moves Like Jagger"
*Hmmm, this one is tricky. I'm inclined to say that Tony & Amy have the upper hand here with the whole being a legend/ being dead combo, but The Black Keys and Coldplay sneak up on people sometimes. And can I just say, REALLY with the Foster the People nomination? I liked their album when it came out and even enjoyed their show, but they are hardly Grammy material. I'm gonna stick with Tony and Amy in this category.

BEST POP VOCAL ALBUM
Adele- 21
CeeLo Green- The Lady Killer
Lady Gaga- Born This Way
Rihanna- Loud
Bruno Mars- DooWops and Hooligans
*Adele again.

BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE
Coldplay- "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall"
Mumford & Sons- "The Cave"
Foo Fighters- "Walk"
The Decemberists- "Down by the Water"
Radiohead- "Lotus Flower"
* I would genuinely be happy with any of these wins, but I think this one is going to the Foo Fighters.

BEST ROCK ALBUM
Jeff Beck- "Rock N Roll Party Honoring Les Paul"
Kings of Leon- "Come Around Sundown"
Foo Fighters- "Wasting Light"
Red Hot Chili Peppers- "I'm With You"
Wilco- "The Whole Love"
*I'm going Foo Fighters again in this category [although that Wilco album was pretty darn good.....]

BEST ALTERNATIVE MUSIC ALBUM
Bon Iver-Bon Iver
Death Cab For Cutie- Codes and Keys
Foster the People- Torches
My Morning Jacket- Circuital
Radiohead- King of Limbs
*If we took Foster the People and Death Cab out, this would almost be a perfect category. Foster needs to go because they simply don't deserve it, and Death Cab needs to go because I'm pretty sure that everyone is aware that this was not Ben Gibbard's best effort. I'm calling My Morning Jacket on this one, but I think Radiohead and Bon Iver still stand a chance.

BEST RAP PERFORMANCE
Chris Brown- "Look At Me Now"
Jay-Z and Kanye West- "Otis"
Lupe Fiasco- "The Show Goes On"
Nicki Minaj and Drake- "Moment for Life"
Wiz Kalifa- "Black and Yellow"
*Watch the Throne here. No competition.

BEST RAP/ SUNG COLLABORATION
Beyonce and Andre 3000- "Party"
DJ Khaled, Drake, Rick Ross & Lil Wayne- "I'm On One"
Eminem, Dr. Dre & Skylar Grey- "I Need a Doctor"
Rihanna and Drake- "What's My Name"
Kanye West, Rihanna, Kid Cudi, Fergie- "All of the Lights"
* Hmmmm, this one is quite a bit trickier. I was initially thinking Beyonce might nab this one, but I think I'm going to change my mind and say that this one is going to "All of the Lights". Mad love to Drake for getting 2 noms in this category.

BEST RAP ALBUM
Jay-Z and Kanye West- Watch the Throne
Lil Wayne- The Carter IV
Lupe Fiasco-Lasers
Nicki Minaj- Pink Friday
Kanye West- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
*Here we GO! Now this is a competitive category. I'm gonna say that "The Throne" is going to win here with the slight possibility that Kanye alone will win for "MBDTF".

BEST AMERICANA ALBUM
Linda Chorney- Emotional Jukebox
Ry Cooder- Pull Up Some Dust and Sit Down
Emmylou Harris- Hard Bargain
Levon Helm- Ramble at the Ryman
Lucinda Williams- Blessed
*I'm going with Emmylou here for obvious reasons, but also because I dont think she has much competition here [the only exception to that being Levon Helm].


So set your calendars to tune into CBS on February 12th and see if I'm right!




No comments: